About Rural Housing Loan Fund (RHLF)
This special fund was established in 1996 by the National Department of Housing South Africa to assist low-income citizens with funding to improve their living conditions.
We lend them a small amount of money with very easy repayment terms, this money is then used to provide better shelter for themselves and their families.
What makes us different?
- We strive to empower impoverished citizens by giving them the opportunity to make a better life for their families.
- Our sole focus is on the rural market to help poor people
- We offer expert experience and advice on how to get the most out of the personal loan
- We educate the customer free of charge and guide them through the entire process
- We put the people that we help first and our bottom line is to help now to make a profit
How do we choose who to lend money to?
Our aim is to assist the poor we do not want to drive them further into debt. The quick loan repayment terms are based on how much the family earns and we offer the lowest interest rates.
Our fees will never exceed more than 25% to 30% of the entire household’s disposable income. We operate and comply with all the rules and regulations set out by the National Credit Act.
Rural Housing Loan Fund (RHLF) Services
We encourage our lenders to charge a lower than the normal interest rate.
We charge our intermediaries a favourable interest rate so that they can pass these savings onto our lenders.
Once your rural housing loan has been approved, you can use it for the following:
- To buy a property in the form of a home loan
- To fix an existing property
- Construction costs
- Purchasing building materials
- To connect services such as running water and electricity
- Personal loans for security upgrades such as installing an electric fence
- Installing new sewage systems
To become an RHLF client you will have to fit certain criteria.
- You must be a Proprietary Limited Company or close corporation that is already operating as a lender
- You must be registered and comply with all the terms and conditions recommended by the National Credit Regulator
- You must focus on helping the poor and lending in rural areas to low-income high-risk clients
- People over profit
- You must be an established company and have relevant experience
- You must comply with stokvel principles
- You may only lend to organizations and not to the general public
What is an intermediary?
An intermediary is a person that acts as the middleman or a link between two people to bring about an agreement. In this case, we are the intermediary between the South African lenders and the rural community.
Rural Housing Loan Fund (RHLF) Product Details
- Loan Type Personal loans
Summary of Services
- Rural Housing Loan Fund
Rural Housing Loan Fund - We make it possible to access the lowest interest rates
These loans are offered to the intermediaries at a minimum of R 1 million. They need to offer support and guidance to the rural community in order to access the lowest interest rate.
The loans offered must take into account the following
- Rural communities are at higher risk of not being able to pay back the money within the allocated time frame.
- The loans should be given in small amounts for each section of the property that has been improved. This will decrease the change of the loan being used incorrectly and surplus funds lying in an account
- The repayment terms should be easy to manage and not drive the recipient into debt
These are business loans offered to startup ventures that would like to implement new ideas. We will loan them up to R5 million to test their new ideas.
We have partnered with the following intermediaries
- Norufin housing – this company was established in 1999 with the sole purpose to enhance the lives of lower-income South African citizens. Their slogan is ‘Enhancing Lifestyles’
- Thuthukani housing finance – this lender has been around for more than 14 years and they have more than 40 branches across South Africa they offer longer-term loans and incremental housing funding
- Real people – This initiative was started in 2001 and focuses on proving loans for both rural businesses and rural housing developments. They also offer debt rehabilitation, home loans, education loans and rehabilitative recovery financial solutions.
- HomeFin – this lender was established in 2014 by a team of financial specialists that have over 20 years’ experience in the industry. Their goal is to help people create their dream homes by offering short term loans.
- Bayport financial services – founded in 2004 they are one of our biggest non-bank providers. We aim to offer services to people no matter how rural their environment. They also offer loans for education, personal loans and great deals on cell phones.
- Lendcor – provides credit to building businesses involved in the wholesale trade.
- Build – offers affordable mortgage financing so that you can build onto your existing property and earn income by renting it out.
- Bradbury finance – they have been in operation for more than 10 years and provide loans directly to companies and does not offer personal loans to individuals
Human settlement entities
This innovative finance company provides bridging finance and construction support services to different contractors and developers. They partner with us to bring affordable housing to the most rural areas and improve the standard of living for those communities. Providing expert advice on program management services they work together with the local and provincial authorities to make a difference.
National home builders’ registration council (NHBRC)
They are a regulatory body of the housing industry. Their goal is to protect the rural communities from being taken advantage of by contractors that don’t complete a project or use poor quality building materials.
National Housing Finance Corporation
This institution was established by the South African Government to fund and promote affordable housing solutions by providing access to affordable housing finance for lower and middle-class income households.
Housing development agency (HAD)
This public development agency was established in 2009 and fast tracks the process of obtaining the release of private and communally owned land for the development of rural settlements.
We have also partnered with:
- Estate Agency Affairs Board
- The Social Housing Regulatory Authority
- SOS – Community schemes Ombud service
Customer Reviews & Testimonials
Applying for an RHLF loan was fast, easy and convenient. I was done within 10 minutes.
— Fochville —
After applying for an RHLF loan, I was given a response within minutes of applying.
— Westonaria —
The consultants at RHLF were friendly and accommodative. They helped me from the beginning till the end of my loan application.
— Durban —
Rural Housing Loan Fund (RHLF) Contact Details
- 2nd Floor, Liberty Gardens, 10 South Boulevard, Bruma Johannesburg Gauteng 2198 South Africa
- Get Directions
- PO Box 645, Bruma, 2026, South Africa
- Monday 08:30 – 17:30
- Tuesday 08:30 – 17:30
- Wednesday 08:30 – 17:30
- Thursday 08:30 – 17:30
- Friday 09:00 – 17:30
- Saturday 09:30 – 13:00
- Sunday – Closed